Old 05-16-12, 04:58 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
One thing that gets overlooked when talking about lightweight touring is that beyond carry less weight you have fewer items with you and I think that goes a long way to freeing up your mind to enjoy the ride. I guess the more accurate terminology to describe the touring I am doing at the moment isn't ultralight as much as it's minimalist touring or simplified touring.

The goal is to carry less gear and remain comfortable on the trip.
I think this sums it up for the most part for me. Others are moving towards UL touring to save a pound or two and others are saying it doesn't matter because the bike is carrying the weight, etc. However, there is more to bike riding than riding the bike. You've got to heft it around at various stops, maybe carry it up a hill or stairs, or simply to lean it against a wall. The lighter the more pleasant - not by much but still easier.

I still think the simplicity is the best though - thanks for pointing that out vik