onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
You should let the glue dry until it is "tacky" to touch - but not completely dry.

Here is an effective, albeit difficult, trick - taught to me at a mechanics course - which means you don't have to wait.

Splooge glue on patch and tube. Smooth each out to a thin even layer. Wipe your fingers clean! Using a cigarette lighter set fire to the glue on the tube. *Do not let the tube get hot and melt*. This means blow the burning glue out *immediately*. Now move to the patch, same thing. Then back to the tube. You keep going until there is no volatile solvent left - and the glue won't immediately and easily burn, 2 or 3 brief flames on each probably. See what I'm saying there - you shouldn't be holding the lighter next to the glue for more than a fraction of a second. Once it stops immediately popping into flame then it's ready to stick.

You are effectively quickly drawing all the solvent out of the glue without having to wait around.

Do not do this in a garden shed near petrol, do not do it inside the house near curtains, you probably should only do this in the middle of the Mojave desert. Or better still, not at all.

Seriously be careful. I can't say this enough. Have a bucket of water nearby to plunge burnt fingers in.

Once the glue is ready, stick patch to tube, quickly shake talcum powder on the patch and surrounds - clamp it flat while it dries.

If you survive then you will have the best patch you've ever done.

Do not reply with posts saying that you have accidentally torched your apartment building and hundreds of orphans have died.
Jolly, no offense but your advise is pretty much wacky; you're turning a simple process into a major safety issue. First, you need to let the glue completely dry, which will usually take no more than 4 minutes and usually much less. As you discussed, one needs to wait until all the solvent flashes off; the vulcanizing chemicals are suspended in the solvent. If the glue does not completely dry, than the solvent will prevent the vulcanizing process. It sounds to me your wrench misses the old days before they outlawed hot vulcanizing patches..