Old 05-18-12, 01:29 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a conundrum. I want to 1) get my bike back on the road with minimal cost. 2) keep it on the road for a couple years while I save up for a new bike. If I'm buying parts, might as well go with new. If I go the DIY route, I'll try to do it without buying a spoke tension tool (the ParkTool costs > $50.)

Recommendations for rims and spokes?

Any recommendations other than Shimano Sora hubs? I’m thinking 7 speed to minimize compatibility issues with my current 5 speed freewheel oriented drivetrain setup. Or just go to another freewheel hub and new freewheel?

I guess I will replace the broken spoke this weekend and try to tension the spokes so the drive side pings about the same and then the left side sounds about the same then true the wheel.

I can see huge advantages of learning to build my own wheels, starting with existing wheels and see if they are straight and the only issue is bad spokes and tension causing the breakage. I’m assuming the 35 year old spokes are fatigued and should be replaced no matter what.

Correct assumption?

Next, if the rims are bent, replace them. Might as well go to 700c if that’s the case. New rear brake will be needed - mine isn't long enough.

Hubs seem to be fine. I’ve replaced bearings and cones a couple times, but I have no idea how many miles the hubs can keep going before complete replacement.

Freewheel should be replaced. It’s original and has quite a bit of wear on the small gears.

Last edited by RoadTire; 05-18-12 at 01:33 AM.