Old 05-19-12, 01:58 AM
varaonaid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How confident are you in the strength of a folding bike?

I'm working on an unusual project and a couple of people have agreed to help me...but I need some advice from those familiar with folding bikes.

I'm disabled and in the process of working on putting an electric motor on a bike. My husband and I had our first try on a 20" wheeled bike today (Dahon Speed series...important b/c of chromoly frame) and we fell in love! We live in a moderately hilly area and I have to pull a trailer with my service dog in it (70lb labradoodle) so it's going to be a more than averagely strong motor but not a monster. It just has to safely get us around.

So, would you feel comfortable with this rig on your (or a) foldable bike? The chromoly steel frame was suggested as it's more forgiving than aluminum but never having ridden a folding bike more than few minutes at a LBS, I have no idea what to expect or if they're up to the task. I hope they are because we really want to go that way...but I want to be safe. So I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, I have to go to Europe for some very specialized airway treatments that aren't available in the US or Canada. If we go with a folding bike, we'd like to be able to take them with us to Europe. Any problems that you've heard of transporting an electric bike on a plane?

Thanks in advance!!