Old 05-21-12, 02:45 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
One cross wheels on a single speed Holdsworth Trike Conversion (Less torque issues?)

I am restoring a 50ish year old Holdsworth trike conversion. If you don't have any clue what it is, here is an idea...

Not my image, randomly found on interwebs, just to show what I am talking about.

I was thinking about spoking the rear wheels on this with a 1x pattern. Why would I do this? The issue is, the old proprietary pawled hubs are 32h and small flanged. I am on a tight budget. I have a lot of bikes, and a '90's MTB acted as a wheel donor, so I have some rims for very cheap. These rims happen to have a super low profile with an ERD of 574. I wanted white spokes on the rims, but the size needed is 280mm, and these are hard to find for cheap as they usually have to be custom cut.

Either I need to find rims with a smaller ERD or I could possibly lace these with a 1x pattern. Since the right and front wheel has no torque on it at all this should be ok.

The drive side is one long axle, with the left wheel on one end press-fit to the hub, and a cog in the middle. Is there less force on this drive wheel so I could use a 1x pattern or would it be no different than normal direct-to-hub torque?

Bottom line is, is a 1x pattern ok in this situation?