View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 11:39 AM
davidatx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I have both a 42cm (650c wheels) Wabi Lightning (original Scandium) and a 49cm (700c wheels) Soma Rush, and there is a definite difference in the feel and handling of the two frames. The Rush has a very stable and responsive feel to it, whereas the Lightning is somewhat vague. I especially notice the difference when climbing out of the saddle. The Soma moves straight ahead, wheareas the Lightning wants to weave. The ride is about the same on both frames, which is to say firm but not harsh. The quality of the Rush frame is first rate, and certainly as good as the new steel Lightning will be. Personally, I would go with the Rush over the new steel lightning, as there is no longer a big weight advantage with the steel Lightning. My complete Scandium Lightning is 3 lbs lighter than my Rush, but some of that difference is due to the much smaller frame and 650c wheels.
Thanks for the detailed input. I almost pulled the trigger on the lightning last night. Maybe I need to hold off and get more opinions like yours. I did like the test ride with the Rush at my LBS. However, with the difference in geometry, how comfortable is the Rush for longer rides on the street? Not training rides per se, as I feel if I was to do that I should just get a proper road frame, but perhaps 20-30 mile rides here and there...how does it feel?