View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 02:09 PM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are in pain while only riding a few miles, then something is not right. You don't need creams, pads, or blessing from a deity. Something is not right.
If it is merely "not comfortable" then your rear-end needs to get used to it, most likely.

In my case (as others have said, the saddle-rider interface is a highly personal thing), I have 2 "main" saddles that are leather and one vinyl-covered saddle that I use for wet-weather riding. Of the two leather saddles, one was immediately very comfortable (very narrow and light racing-style) and the other was just OK (very heavy duty, touring-ish style), but is getting better as it's breaking in. The vinyl-covered saddle is thinly padded and narrow and started out good, and as I got used to it, I find that I like it pretty good for long rides (50+ milers).
I've got a box full of other styles that didn't work for me. If they are painful (rather than just "uncomfortable") they're off of my bike.