View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 04:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5773 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
A few possibilities come to mind.

The first is that you're still riding on the new tire, and haven't worn through the very thin "skin" layer which has mold release agent on it. This is the shiny surface
of newly molded tires and can be a bit slippery. When the riding surface has the matte appearance of a used tire the grip should come back to what you're used to.

The other is that you've either made a change in pressure, or changed to a tire with a harder compound.

Discounting the mold skin, tire friction varies among tires within a narrow band. Some makers using a harder compound which offers better tread life, especially on hot blacktop, and others using a softer stickier compound better suited for cooler climates and rain slick roads.

This is part of the reason that experienced cyclists (and auto drivers) tend to settle on a favorite brand of tire and stay loyal to it. It also helps to partly explain why some rave about certain tires, while others consider them the absolutely worst.

However, tire friction variations are fairly narrow, and IMO probably wouldn't account for that striking a difference, so it's either the new tire effect, or pressure, or (and I hate to say it) your imagination.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.