Old 05-21-12, 08:11 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I used your identical setup with mu Swift, but abandoned the fork due to the short steerer. I got another Litespeed 650c carbon fork with a nice long steerer which sticks up way into the Bachetta riser. A Problem Solver clamp with a Problem Solver adjuster keeps the preload right. I also use friction grease to prevent movement over time as I also found that it loosens a bit with use. Since using the friction grease, no more adjustments.
Hello jur and how are you?! You're the one I promised to post pictures for...you weren't extracting revenge by stabbing the tires of little bicycle voodoo dolls were you?

Thanks for your input...although I take it your carbon fork costs quite a bit more than my $80 Redline fork. Just thinking out loud here, but since I'm keeping the fork with the short steerer (cause it's not that bad), I'm not gonna add a headset adjuster to the stack either since it will take up space I can't afford to lose. So I wonder, if the friction grease solves the headset loosening, then maybe a dual-bolt clamp would solve it too (cause surely more bolts = more friction)? And if I replace my Problem Solver clamp with one of those double bolt stem risers (pictured above) then maybe I can have my cake and eat it too?

Did you find the longer steerer improved stiffness or was it mainly a safety concern? Also what kind of handlebars were/are you using with your setup(s)? Thanks.

Last edited by chucky; 05-21-12 at 08:20 PM.