Thread: racing at 50+??
View Single Post
Old 08-01-05, 01:16 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I no longer race, but have concentrated on the longer enduro type rides. Nice easy riding, but 65 miles offroad up against a bunch of youngsters still takes some fitness and stamina to finish. Part of my training for this is to go through the pain barrier at certain parts of my normal rides. I cannot sprint for long distances, but those steep inclines for 200 to 400yards are taken at full speed. They hurt and I often wonder why I keep doing them. The legs fall apart, the lungs are bursting, and at times the body falls apart, particularly on the 4th or 5th sprint of the ride. As I have said, I cannot sprint for long distances, so the long drags uphill are taken at a pace, that will put me somewhere near 90 to 95% of my maximum HR for extended periods. Why do I do it. They hurt.

The reason is to extend my basic fitness and stamina. My thought when it starts to hurt is that there must be a flat bit soon, or even a downhill, so that lung bursting effort I am putting in now, will have its recompense. Problem, all I have been able to do by my 30 seconds or so of effort, is to stay with the fit 30 year olds, and the next few miles are taken by them at a fair pace, with me hanging on the back. Till the next short sharp hill When those of half my age have to really push themselve to stay in front of that old man that will not go away. Competitive-- NO, but I do like to make others know that they do have a hard job to stay in front of me.

Last edited by stapfam; 08-01-05 at 01:21 PM.