View Single Post
Old 05-22-12, 10:00 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Micheal Blue
Vik, I'm getting very close to replacing my Dahon with...the Tikit most likely, this year. Yours seems to have the basic gear train. Has it been reliable? Chain falling off when folding? Do you have any experience with the BF's rear rack for full-size panniers? That's why I would have to get.

I find the 8spd drivetrain totally adequate for my needs. I can climb steepish hills and I can pedal up into the 30kph range. I don't need anything more than that. We are in year 4 of my Tikit career and I have now replaced the chain/cassette/ring. I could have been a more attentive owner and just replaced the chain, but I didn't pay attention so I wore out the cassette/rig - my bad!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikappr...7623911494876/

My chain has fallen off 2-3 times over the years on a severe bump while riding. I don't hesitate to fly off a curb or jump up them.

It never falls off when folding.

The Tikit can handle full size panniers front and back. I have a prototype rear touring rack that works well. I had a look at the current production version which looks even slicker.

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/20...g-rack-review/

I gave my GF a Dahon Speed D7 and she's been on me to get her a Tikit ever since the first time we folded our bikes at a store. We are waiting until we have some $$$ available for another bike, but eventually she'll be riding a pink hyperfold Tikit. We'll go with the basic 8speed drivetrain for best bang for the $$.

Good luck with your Tikit purchase. It has been one of the most fun and useful bikes I have ever owned and earned a place in the "never sell" part my bike fleet.