Old 05-22-12, 12:02 PM
takeonafrica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is something I've been playing around with a bit recently and this is what I've found:
try to get as many angles as possible. I also find it more interesting when the camera pans/zooms rather than being fixed.
if you can master cycling one-handed, you can pan while pedalling and get some interesting shots (safety first though!) too including yourself in the footage. The main thing to focus on is keeping the horizon level to minimise shake though. Take and use a tripod perhaps.
shots of you cycling to/away from the camera are good, but require you setting up and going back each time which is time consuming.
if you have a headcam, footage with it on the back of your head and your friends cycling behind you looks good.
get some landscape shots without the bike to use as fillers between scenes.
I think if you can master being comfortable talking into the camera then words make the film more interesting. Failing that, definitely add music to your film. Another option would be to add a voice-over afterwards (not tried this personally).

I'm learning too... but here are some of my attempts:
(these include several photos as that was my primary means of recording the trip but there's video too, shot on compact camera)
Cycling Western Sahara
Cycling Guineas Backroads

This is more recent, using a gopro headcam. (i know it's not biking, but the methods and process of filming are the same)
Packrafting Rio Coco
Packrafting Rio Bocay
For shots of the rapids, I ended cutting them down into 3-5s and stringing it all together, although the original film may have lasted several minutes. Hardly any of the scenes are longer than 10-15s. Basically, you need to keep it moving and changing to keep interest (which talking also would do).