View Single Post
Old 11-22-02, 05:33 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ibuprofen is about the only thing i've used for inflamation and i have had good results.

i used to take 3-4 tablets (200mg each i think) maybe once a week after i started having knee problems about 2 years ago.

then my knee got really bad --- was so swollen during my Pacifc Coast tour that you could't see my knee cap any more! i went to a doctor and wwas prescribed 4 tablets, 4 times a day!! i thought that was excessive, but i did the doesage for about 4 weeks in total.

i was also prescribed high doses of ibuprofen 2 years ago when i had a "bulged disc" in my lower back. again it really helped. without the Ibuprofen i could hardly walk and could not make it up stairs. with it i could ride my bike! it was necessary to reduce the swelling so it could heal and after 3 weeks of almost no activity it was better and i slowly resumed my training (but no running)

i personally have never had stomach problems from ibu. i think the biggest danger is long-term damage to the kidney much like heavy alcohol drinkers -- i understand this is somthing that only long periods of heavy use will cause.

these days i take 3-4 tablets maybe once a month for either aches/pain or swelling (i currently have 3 injured fingers from MTB accidents this summer/fall that often swell)

ibuprofen is probably the drug that i take most frequently (probably more than my asthma medications)