View Single Post
Old 05-23-12, 02:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Jkmballcock- (Interesting name your parents gave you...)- Shimano and others have internal geared hubs with hub brakes built into the hub and not disks. Roller or drums are the choices. Since I like rim brakes and classic SA AW hubs I don't have much personal experience with the more modern choices, I should since I work at your LBS (Full Moon Vista). So do your homework as to the choices that fit the frame's drop out width, axle slot size (and is it a slot or a vertical drop out then also needing a tensioner), brake type (agreed that non disc frames should use other) and (of course) gear range. I will add that the Rochester winters really do a number on components. Between the salt and temperture ranges water and corrosive salt penetration is hard to avoid. The real step to a trouble free winter bike is a lot of frequent service/cleaning/relubing. And I'm not talking about bathing the paint job... Andy.