Old 05-24-12, 04:23 PM
guitarplayerone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
under-bartape shifting/ RD cable pull/ ratcheting mech: RED vs 7900

Hello, all

Is there a fundamental difference in shifting performance or ratcheting mechanism of mechanical DA7900 vs SRAM red?

Some background:

I have most of a DA7900 groupset sitting on a table next to me.

I need to build a fairly fast folding bike for a daily multimodal commute.

I contacted Bike Friday to see if they would use my existing groupset for a bike build.

They said that while they have no problem using my groupset, they could not use the new Shimano stuff:

The problem with 10-speed Shimano stuff is that a few years ago they went from the cables coming out of the side of their levers to internal cable routing for a cleaner appearance. Internally, the shifters work essentially the same as they did before and the cables make a double-bend which gives horrible laggy performance. As a result, we don't do 10-speed Shimano Integrated Shifters on any of our new bikes. With the double-bend internally, coupled with extremely long cable routing on our bikes, the system doesn't work like it should.
This is a solid argument, however their site has a SRAM red model (which appears to have under-bartape cable routing)

So this makes me wonder: Either there has to be a fundamental difference in cable routing of SRAM or 6700, or there is a difference in the internal ratcheting mechanism, or perhaps DA is just too much of a pain compared to SRAM to set up

Thoughts?

Edit: I just wanted to add that I think that the folks at BF have been great in communication, even when we were not yet discussing building a folding bike. This thread is just to get more information on the issue (and possibly see how I might try to convince them to build up the bike, and if I am foolish for doing so)

http://bikefriday.com/bicycles/road/1266

Last edited by guitarplayerone; 05-24-12 at 04:52 PM.