Old 05-24-12, 07:29 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Bike Share Program?

My husband and I attended our first meeting as volunteers for a County Bike Share program that is in development here. We are going to be working Wednesday nights and Saturdays repairing and reconditioning donated, used bikes. Area bike mechanics will be on hand to teach the repairs. After the refurbishing, the bikes will be distributed to municipalities within the county that wish to participate in the program.

The program is being developed by the county’s Director of Environmental Affairs and supported by the county as a means of advocating the use of our bike trails and cycling as an alternate means of transportation. I met him last night, and was not surprised to learn he is also a cyclist.

Our first repair day is Saturday and I am so excited to be part of it.
I like doing volunteer work, I’m sure to learn a great deal about bike repair, and I’m looking forward to meeting a good number of other cyclists!

We are starting with two hundred+ bikes in need of repair. As it is a new program here, they have asked us to bring any ideas we may have to make the repair process function as smoothly as possible.

I am wondering if anyone has worked in a similar situation and if so, do you have any tips or suggestions?