Old 05-24-12, 09:48 PM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
We have used ours every other week or so for three or four years now, and it has served us well.

The skewer for the front fork wore out after a couple of years. The RockyMounts rep told me not to tighten it so much, and he sent me a replacement. After a couple of years the bolts used to mount the tandem rack to the cargo racks felt like they were seizing. A little grease fixed that problem.

I can load and upload the tandem by myself, but when I unload it, it's a lot easier if my wife releases the lock button on the front swivel. I think a bungee cord set to lightly torque the handlebars to one side might make it easier for one person to unload the tandem.

The picture shows a tie down that we used for a while to stabilize the tandem side-to-side. We don't use it anymore, and we haven't had any trouble.

It's good!

PS: My only gripe is that fuel economy drops from 31-32 mpg to 25-26 when I have the tandem on top of the car. That's not the fault of RockyMounts, but since I'm a fuel-stingy guy, it still hurts!

PPS: I have to admit that our tandem would probably look nicer on the roof of a Porsche. Nice ride merlinextraligh !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC04528_small.jpg (100.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by mwandaw; 05-24-12 at 09:53 PM.