View Single Post
Old 05-29-12, 08:03 AM
northerntier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horrible. I was in a similar, though much less severe, accident last summer. Broken collarbone in three (four?) places, 1 rib, didn't come to until the hospital ride, etc. In my case I *think* I was going downhill at about 20mph, got distracted, and hit a speedbump about a half mile from my house. I've biked > 15000 miles over the last few years, so....

Good things:
- collarbone healed pretty rapidly (I'm 48). Major pain for a few days, but by the end of the first week it was the rib that caused me the most problems.
- the single rib crack healed more slowly, but I think I was back on the bike in three weeks. Doctor told me no, and then winked.
- the road rash was very nasty. My wife patiently changed dressings on my shoulders for quite some time.

I thought I might end up gunshy, but in fact once I got back on the bike there seemed to be no lasting effects, mental or physical. I haven't had any other crashes, and going up and down that fateful street doesn't cause me problems (maybe because I don't remember it :-)). I've since put another few thousand miles on the bike, including a tour from Bar Harbor Maine down to DC.

I sincerely hope you get through this as well. Your injuries are obviously worse than mine are, but biking (and especially touring) is great on so many levels that you must get back on. By the way, this has nothing to do with your limits. Crap like this just happens some times, we accept that when we get on 25lbs of nothing and go out on a road.

It was a freak accident and nothing more.