Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Took it very easy riding HR zone 2 max for a couple days and it seems to have helped. Half of my three hour ride today was in zone 3 and I felt much better and made good power for me. Still missing about 10 pct of the HR I'm capable of so will return to easy riding tomorrow.

FYI...LSD isnt in the cards here in winter outside so we do low volume high intensity work on the trainers with lots of rest. I don't race by the way.... Just want to be competent. And thanks for that link on overtraining.
Good job. It's easy to see whether one has over or undercooked - simply by taking a few days easy! And that's the way to do it - go out and rev it up and check to see what you can do. If you can't make your numbers, take more easy days.

Nebraska - yeah it snows there sometimes, doesn't it. Drove through the worst snowstorm of my life there, and I'm from Alaska. What I do is ride rollers in the winter during the week. I'm in the PNW, so I can get out one weekend day almost every week. But I get most of my mileage on the rollers. On the rollers, I do a lot of zone 2, some long FastPedal intervals (115 cadence or what one can manage), also some weights at the gym, a spin class at the gym, and some low cadence Z3 intervals toward spring. So I do get a little interval work at spin class and on the weekend ride, but I make sure I don't do enough to cause me to short myself on the lower intensity rides. Or at least that's what I try to do.