Old 05-29-12, 10:25 PM
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you have a great experience in CO. We did. Great riding and great weather.

Shipping a bike on a plane, or in a truck, etc. is not for the faint of heart. When we departed for the USA from Rome, I watched the baggage handlers push/pull a couple of triathlon race bikes, packed in padded travel cases, through the x-ray machine. Two pushed and one pulled.

Just get into the mindset that any fragile part on your bike can/will be damaged. Rear derailleurs are a prime candidate. If you have a disc on your wheel(s), I hope you took it off. It is an easy thing to overlook, but it is also pretty fragile if it is packed next to the case wall. It can easily get bent. I was lucky, but I learned to pack and pad everything and brace the case in several locations to hopefully prevent crushing.

I also keep a list of everything that should go into each case (we travel with our tandem). The list includes every tool I need to build it upon arrival, plus all bike parts. I also made a list of of the building sequence and tools needed at each step. It has been very helpful. Hope this helps ease your anxiety. I'm sure you will be fine.