Old 05-30-12, 04:55 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
in the end it gets down to calories in vs out. I will bet you, you are being somewhat lenient on what you are actually eating, and optimistic on what you are burning. Just because you exercise twice as long, doesnt mean you are burning twice as many calories.
1800 is the minimum Mith should be eating, so even if there is some slop I doubt that he is eating too much, no matter what his activity level. But counting errors is a possibility. Mith, do you weigh your food? How meticulous are you in your counting?

I know about at least one study that paired a very low calorie diet with lots of aerobic exercise. This caused a larger decrease in metabolic rate than diet alone. Inotherwords, the body starts doing what it can to conserve energy. Sorry, I poked around and can't find the cite. Another issue may be too much cortisol from the stress of dieting and exercising. Cortisol promotes fat accumulation/retention and can relate to leptin resistence. It is also possible that all the exercise is doing weird things in water retention.

To speculate, Mith you might consider upping up the calories for a few days to relieve some stress on your system, and then return to your diet. Or stop exercising for a few days and see if weight drops off. Or try intermittent fasting. And vary the types of exercise you do, biking three days a week and weight training two days a week.

Last edited by goldfinch; 05-30-12 at 05:42 PM.