View Single Post
Old 05-31-12, 06:26 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
How did you learn to recognize what to look for in a steel fork? How about when those aluminum forks hit the market for a while? What makes it any different for a composite fork, i.e., just learning how to do the same. ....
My comfort with steel vs carbon is partially logical and I admit like all gut feelings partially emotional. I have lived 54 years using and working with steel products. I am more comfortable with it and how it feels, looks and sounds prior to failing.

I am sure one can detect damaged carbon however I have not had the experience of seeing and hearing damaged carbon for myself. At this point I am examining and tapping on carbon trying to compare it what I imagine a failed carbon member should look or sound like. It is possible that I would easily notice any damage but the lack of personal experience is not confidence inspiring.

This is not an indictment of carbon as a material. I have used carbon forks and will most likely use them again. Each material has its strengths and weaknesses and we should not view them all the same. For instance I would avoid a aluminum fork simply because I know it should be designed stiff enough not to flex and fatigue. This can be done and aluminum forks are found on some low cost bikes and I am sure they are safe. On the other hand I don't see any advantage other than cost of a very stiff aluminum fork and do not want a flexy one because it might fail from repeated flexing (unlike carbon or steel).

By the way if anyone can find be a carbon tandem fork that has about 60mm rake and canti studs set for 650B wheels then let me know I will buy it and save some weight. I may buy two just in case we crash one.

Last edited by waynesulak; 05-31-12 at 06:34 AM.