Old 05-31-12, 08:03 AM
tony_merlino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience with cycling in the '70s was not at all elitist, or even sports-oriented - I rode for fun and transportation. I grew up in one of the NYC boros (Queens), and I rode my bike everywhere until I could drive, which happened at the end of the '60s. I didn't get on a bike again for about 5 years, but started riding again in the mid-'70s because (1) I remembered that it was a lot of fun, (2) it was a lot cheaper and easier to find parking for than my car, (3) a bunch of cheap 10-speeds came on the market, and I could afford one. I think I paid about $100 for my Ross "Eurotour II". Although it was unbearably heavy by today's standards (believe me, I know - I used to have to carry it up 3 flights of stairs in my building!), at the time it was lighter than my old 3-speed roadster, and gave me a lot more gear options. Also - it was a really comfortable ride. I rode that bike until the mid '90s, when I bought my first "serious" road bike (A Bianchi Eros that I still ride today.)

I'm sorry I got rid of that old bike. I'm just starting to appreciate how comfortable and fun those old steel road/touring bikes were. In fact, I recently picked up an early '70s Raleigh Record and have been pleasantly reminded of some of the qualities we may have given up in the name of lightness and performance. I was amazed that this 40 year old bike that I picked up for practically nothing on Craigslist was turning into one of my favorites.