Old 05-31-12, 04:57 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vesteroid
I have seen sets of mavic kysirium sl on eBay in that price range.

You have almost limitless options on pro wheel builder (non carbon) for that udget and on the bicycle wheel warehouse site I don't think they have a stock set over that price.

Heck at excel sports out of boulder you could even get a set of power tap wheels for just a little more....shoot I have seen zipp 101 for almost that cheap.

Bottom line is I don't think you need to get sucked into,the normal Clyde rim choices. If you are going to stay under 220 and want lit rims, there are plenty of durable choices.
But, the OP has suggested that it wouldn't be surprising for him to get back up to 240. And, he's stated he isn't competing against anyone, but, himself.

With that in mind, I'd suggest a wheel that does fall into the "normal clyde" category. Not because he "has" to have it, but, because it will provide an excellent solution, provide excellent durability and fill his needs. The "light weight" side of the equation doesn't sound like it's as big a concern as "quality".

I was reminded a few weekends ago that "good wheels" aren't just "clyde wheels" when a fairly light female (<150lbs) rolled up to our group ride on a set of DT Swiss 585's. Her's were probably 24h or 28h, not 32h. I asked how she liked them and she, "a lot". Why did she choose them, "Because, I wanted a good reliable set of wheels that I don't have to worry about." End of conversation about wheels, and moved onto who was going where.

If someone isn't racing against others, I really don't understand the importance of light weight in wheels, with one exception. That being the psycological aspect of "wanting" to go ride your bike and feeling proud of what you have. If bling makes you want to ride, then it may be worth it. But, personally, I like having quality components that I have confidence in and that aren't going to let me down 30 miles from home or in the long run cost me an arm and leg to maintain.

If you were to take a look at the group rides around here that meet in the early am, you would find an awful lot of very expensive bikes being ridden with some pretty low end hoops. For those riders the good wheels only come out for "events".

The messege I've heard from more than one shop has been, "What do people expect? They buy these light wheels then ride them as daily trainers and expect that they aren't going to wear quicker than something heavier? But, hey, as long as they're willing to pay for them."

I heard a guy on Saturdays ride say that he had been quoted $28 for an aluminum replacement spoke for his Mavics. That was the spoke, no labour. I wonder what they charged him for the install? And, if they bothered to detention the entire wheel and bring it back up, or, just put the spoke in and tightened until things looked true.