View Single Post
Old 06-03-12, 09:38 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
With your requirements, I'd say you can go for this bike.

If I was buying I'd skip the suspension because it's just more stuff that might wear out and go wrong.
When you're talking $200 for a bike, the suspension is not going to be high quality and may rob you of pedaling power as it wallows underneath you.
You might want to check this one, it's a hybrid with slicker tires.
Its a little more cash, but it has better reviews too.
http://www.amazon.com/Columba-Folding-Shimano-Speed-SP26S_BLU/dp/B002LT28J4/ref=sr_1_21?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1338736478&sr=1-21

Bear in mind even if these fold, it's going to be a relatively big package since it has 26" wheels.
There's no way around it because you'll want 26" wheels for off roading.

A hybrid/cross is like a MTB but with slick city tires.
A cyclocross is a road bike with off road tires, but that's not what you'll want as the posture is road race style.

Lots of people put in tire liners instead of spending the cash on kevlar tires and from what I hear they're more puncture proof since they're solid strips of plastic.
I've never used them so search through the mountain, commuter, or hybrid sections here to read up on them.

1" headsets are kind of old school but you can still get plenty of nice ones.
If you become an avid biker you'll want an entirely new bike later down the road anyway so I wouldn't sweat it.