Old 06-04-12, 05:14 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tubus + Carradice Bike Bureau ?

Anyone using the Bike Bureau? Or can offer some speculation on whether it'd work with a Tubus Tara or Smarti?

I'm building up a new commuter for my girlfriend. She's expressed an interest in a minimalistic front rack like a Tubus Tara. Her new fork lacks mid-fork eyelets though so I'm leaning towards a Tubus Smarti instead. My main question is whether anyone has used a Carradice Bike Bureau with either of these racks. I haven't purchased the pannier yet, but all my research points to it being the one. I realize I can either use P-clamps or the Tubus kit to mount a Tara to a fork lacking eyelets, but I think the Smarti might end up looking "cleaner" and with the right bolts be quite secure. I realize the load will be a little higher up on the Smarti, but I think that'll be okay.

I'd be curious to hearing about any other similar racks and bags. I don't think I'm interested in a front rack that is two separate pieces though, especially lacking mid-fork eyelets. Likewise, I think the Bike Bureau is hard to beat, especially with the flap to protect her clothes from road grime.

Her touring rig will be getting a front rack with a platform and she can use that as her truck, so no need for a platform on the front rack on this one. She wants it light and minimalistic for her commuter.

Thanks in advance!