View Single Post
Old 06-04-12, 07:08 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>>When you say bikeways, what do you mean? A bike path? Is it paved? Paved I am good with, unpaved not so much with my road bike. The 4.5 miler would work, yes. <<<<<<

"Bikeway" is sort of a more manly way of describing a bike path. Yes, many of them, including the 4.5 mile bikeway to Jones Beach, are paved. In fact, when I say "bikeway," I always mean a paved bike path that's usually more than a few miles long and a notch above a multi-use path filled with dog-walkers and kids on tricycles. The Jones Beach (Ellen Farrant Memorial) Bikeway is along the Wantagh State Parkway, crosses three bridges, and leads you to the parking lot for the Nikon Theatre at Jones Beach, where, at the right time of day, you might find yourself part of an intimate group enjoying a sound check by a major artist. Many road riders use it for training, particularly after 5pm on weeknights, when there are no little kids weaving all over it. The only thing you may have to deal with would be roller bladers; however, most are experienced here and know how to stay out of cyclists way.

For other bike paths on the Island, check out my website at the address below.

The Bethpage Bikeway is a good one, but the riding will be a lot slower.

Heckscher State Park (not to be confused with Heckscher Park in Huntington) can be pretty desolate, to the point where it'll just be you and the deer, but that might give you an opportunity to open up a little. You can leave your car anywhere in the park and pick up the path, which is basically a giant loop. I like it because it passes by a nice stretch of beach.

The ride across the forks of Long Island is mostly on a dedicated bike lane that runs across Shelter Island and North Haven on through Sag Harbor and into East Hampton. Shelter Island and North Haven are very peaceful, lightly trafficked areas at this time of year, although weekend visitors are just now starting to make their way out there. Shelter Island is a good place to stop for a quick tour, but be sure to walk your bike through town or risk a ticket. East Hampton is one of those places you always read about in the gossip columns. You won't be welcomed there if your bike doesn't have a Beemer emblem on it, but it's worth visiting once.

I guess I assume anyone who wants a "road ride" is looking to burn rubber the full 25-30 miles. Am I incorrect?