View Single Post
Old 06-05-12, 08:41 AM
DarthSensate

Bikes: '90s GT AllTerra Timberline with GM hub motor, Raleigh Competition, '81 Lotus Super Pro Aero, Schwinn S-25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a pretty tall order for having no money to spend. Most front or rear hubmotor or chain drive conversion kits will cost you $500 without batteries. SLA batteries will cost somewhere around $150 for a 36V 12ah pack. And a lithium battery will run over $400 for 36v 10ah.

I converted a Schwinn S-25, which has a similar if not the same geometry to the Ditch. Front hub 500W Ampedbikes.com and a set of salvaged APC SLA batteries mounted on a rear seat post rack in pannier bags. It's an entry level bike, but a nice ride once you tune it up properly.

My primary commuter bike is an older GT AllTerra Timberline with a Ampedbikes front hub and 36v SLA pack, also in pannier bags on the rear. This one has no trouble climbing 3-5% grades continuously over a couple miles solid. I pedal with it in top gear and can maintain 17MPH. I also take an 8% grade hill on my return ride and maintain 8MPH. (There is a section of this hill that is supposedly 18% grade for a few hundred feet as well. If I don't anticipate it, it's pretty hard on my poor old SLA packs.)

So...
1) What IS your budget?
2) what is the average and steepest grade of the hill you need to climb?
3) and how long is the hill?

How good are you with wiring motors and controllers if you want to hack one together your self?
I have seen a couple people hack together a friction drive using batteries, an inverter, and the guts from a treadmill if that is what you are thinking of? The motors from tread mills are pretty heavy though and rated 1.5-3HP and 180VDC. You can even rig the safety interlock to your brake levers and the speed controller to the handle bars or cable actuator.

Be really careful if you are intending to hack this project together using found parts. Make sure you have an emergency cut-off on the battery pack.
-DS