Old 06-06-12, 11:07 AM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Randy - you are, of course, right...but do most people have the time or desire to really learn what to look for? A lot of it takes time and experience, and I do think there is a value in a general guide, as inaccurate and flawed as it will be, for inexperienced buyers.

There are always exceptions - the Serotta Huffy, the Paramount with stem shifters...etc...but if you can narrow down to a GENERAL and quick guideline, I think there is some value. What percentage of Free Spirits I come across are made by Puch? 5%? Even those are hardly top end...so I think, as a general guide, writing off Free Spirit is a good way to proceed. Really learning this takes time and effort - and few folks want to invest those things. If they dismiss a good Free Spirit, OK - they'll move on to something else.
That's my basic point. I'm not talking the nuances we fuss over, but something a novice can use that's generally reliable. I've listed brands that show up commonly on the local CL. As far as learning more, it might surprise you that most people aren't interested, but would still benefit from having a decent bike and deserve as much. A major part of my hobby is finding bikes for people, and they genuinely appreciate it. I'm looking to give them enough information to make a decent choice, even if, as KonAaron points out, they might pass by a Huffy branded Raleigh.

I'm also familiar with Randyjawa's My Ten Speeds site, and while it's excellent, I think it's geared toward people who are interested in entering our hobby, not the people I typically deal with.

Last edited by Mercian Rider; 06-06-12 at 11:41 AM.