Old 06-06-12, 03:45 PM
tony_merlino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Despite being shipped over a 3 day period, from all corners of the US, all my order arrived at the same time!

I've replaced my riser bar with the XLC Trekking bar, put on the brakes and shifters, and adjusted it all for my hands, before tightening it all down, then wrapped it in cork tap (with the unneeded shifter cover tape strips used as my gel padding).

I forthwith discovered that, despite not changing cable lengths, my brakes and deraileurs were out of whack in various ways. That caught me by surprise. The rear brakes especially. I had to de-lopside-ify it as well as tighten it up. I did my best, trying to adjust the deraileurs, but I think I'll spend my future budget on having the LBS wizard perform his magic on them to adjust them properly.

After doing all this, I thought: "Wait! Shouldn't I have posted a question in the mechanics section, about anything I should need to know beforehand?", so now I've belatedly done that as well!

All in all, it went surprisingly well, even for a mechanophobe such as myself. The trekking bar I put on riser-style with the near-stem angle pointing up, rather than drops-style, and I placed the brakes/shifters far enough outboard that I can finger-brake with my hands on the outer bend of the bars.

I am filled with excitement and trepidation. Excitement with my new more comfortable bar, and trepidation over my mechanical ineptitude which may come back to bite me in a tender place...
Pictures???

I had trekking bars mounted the way you describe on my grocery-getter, until moving them to another bike this past weekend. The issue I had with that way of mounting them, (and maybe my angle was more extreme than yours), was that it was hard to get any use of the low (far) part of the bars at all.

I now have them mounted almost level, but with the near part just a little bit lower than the far part, and I'm liking that a lot so far.