View Single Post
Old 06-06-12, 04:37 PM
Doug5150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BiciBlue4
We want to buy a used Electra Townie for a friend. He is on the heavy side. 400+ I have some Weinmann DH-39 12gauge spoke rims that I don't need. Is it possible to add those rims to a Townie? The Electra website says that it's wheel size is 26x2.0. The Weinmann are 26x2.125. It sounds off to me, but then again, I have never modify anything on a bike. Thanks!!
The "wheel" size given like this (with cheaper bikes) is usually not real accurate, it is only a statement of what size (diameter and width) tires are on the bike.

Rim widths for 'normal-tire' bikes vary from about one inch to about 1.5 inches, or 1.75 inches for the old-style rolled steel rims. (Of course, now we have the 4-inch-wide-tire MTBs, but they ain't normal...)

You can put the Weinmann DH-39 rims on the Townie, if the spoke counts of the rim matches the hubs. The bike may need slightly narrower tires, but it will still be better off with the wider rims.

I would also suggest that he get a decent rear hub on there too, Shimano XTR or so--the bearings in the cheap hub aren't going to live long with that much weight on them. You don't need the strongest hub available, but you do want something sturdy.