Old 08-03-05, 11:28 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcspain
Sorry, I'm not real clear on what you said there....the one week duration you're talking about...you didn't store the tea in the bottle for a week at 90 degrees did you? If you did, it's a wonder it didn't have mold growing on top of it. I throw tea out if it sets overnight in the refrigerator. I sure wouldn't drink it if it was a week old.

Tip for everyone...in hot weather, smell anything liquid or otherwise before you consume it. God put your nose over your mouth for a reason! And if you forget, and the stuff tastes off, spit, don't swallow!

Please tell me I misunderstood you!
I am embarrassed but feel I have to report for the benefit of others.
We biked one weekend and as I said one bottle was used with a sweetened ice tea. This bottle was emptied but not washed immediately and stored in a car trunk. So residue had to be in it. (I know, it is stupid!)
Next weekend, someone washed both bottles using water and a bottle brush. I guess that cleaning job was not good enough. One person got quite ill. I suspected the water bottle because of this forum thread. You know, it could have been food poisoning or over exertion in this 100 Degree weather.
A smell test, after both bottles were emptied and filled with clean water, revealed a faint but noticeable smell in the bottle which had the ice tea.
Subsequent dishwasher washing got rid of that.
Lesson learned.