View Single Post
Old 06-10-12, 12:10 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hybrids aren't silly; you should probably get one. If you are doing club rides or extensive long distance rides, of course a road bike is better. And if you are doing exclusively mountain biking, of course a mountain bike is better. But if you are commuting a reasonable distance, a hybrid is probably better than both.

Road bikes have thin, high pressure tires. They are very efficient on smooth asphalt, but they are unpleasant on rougher surfaces, as they transmit all shocks directly to your hands. In my experience of commuting with a road bike, I found that if I didn't pump my tires up every day or so, they would lose enough air that I was at risk of pinch flats. (And I got a lot of pinch flats). Many road bikes can't take racks or fenders.

Mountain bikes are pretty much just the opposite of road bikes. Rougher surfaces are, of course, no problem. But the fatter, knobbier tires on mountain bikes tend to slow you down significantly, as does the suspension.

So get a hybrid. Racks, fenders, and reasonable tires are no problem. You can ride a century on a hybrid, or you can use it for light touring.

And if you later decide you want to get into road biking, the best plan would be to buy a road bike then. You'll know better what you want by then anyway. And you'll still have a hybrid you can use for commuting.