Thread: questions
View Single Post
Old 06-11-12, 07:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I will differ with MassiveD in that hobby building is expensive. Perhaps only if you buy into (bad pun) all the hype surrounding tooling. Any school you attend will be well tooled of course, so if you attend any that's the way you'll learn. But there are many who are self taught or learned from an "old school" builder. Some of the most experienced builders only use expensive tools as a method to make their business efficient, not a need for a hobby builder. With some fore thought, networking with other hobbiests and Craig's Listing the cost of your tools can be only a few hundred $, or less. You won't be looked at as some kind of "super cool builder" except by those who know what it takes, reguardless of the tools.

As to attending a school, I'd learn to braze first. This can be done through friends, frame school or even art schools. Perhaps you have some skill you can barter with an experienced torch guy. The guy i'm teaching has only purchased some files and production cloth to do his prep work on practice joints at home. Soon he will need to contribute to the refilling of my tanks, maybe $50 for 6 months of off and on practice. Andy.