Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledude555
Folks,

If this has already been discussed I apologize but, I did not see anything like this so I wanted to ask your opinion. I am 59 yrs old and started riding over 3 years ago. Last year I entered 2 races and got lapped in both and pulled from race. This year I have stepped up my game both in fitness and racing tactics and raced a few races. Recently I have entered the Master's 50+ but, in the races I have entered they have included 35 and 45 along with 55 yrs old for Master's. I have been lapped both times and pulled from the race along with several others. I don't think it is fair to lump 55 yrs old with 35 and 45 yr old's. What have the rest of you seen in Masters races? Thank you in advance!
It's regional and usually contingent on field size. In some areas like SoCal and Texas, there will be a separate 50+ race or a 55+ race.

At Gila the 50+ are lumped in with the 40's but scored separately.

Like with women's fields it's often tough to justify a separate race for a small number of entrants. That said if the numbers support it you should ask not to be lumped into the 35/45/55.

Another option is to move the higher age group into another less demanding race so you can ride the whole event. You may get some support on this or you may get some backlash from some of the better upper age groupers.