sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The fact that there are exceptions doesn't make it usual. Apparently, that's a hard concept for you to get.

Regardless of the activity, people are not going to tend to use or prefer using closed helmets, including the "skater" types, for high-effort sport.

If people are using closed helmets (including the "skater" type), they are not typically doing high-effort sports in them..

[text size and bold changed by me to reduce obnoxiousness]
Both skating and cycling can be about as "high-effort" as you want them to. When I ride to work, I'm not hunched over my bike like I'm on the Tour, dripping sweat and masculinity; I'm cruising along in street clothes at a comfortable pace. Both casual cycling and skating can indeed be low-effort or high-effort, that isn't the point.

Yes, closed skate-style helmets can be much more uncomfortable due to lack of airflow, every bit as much on a skateboard as with a bike (why you choose to argue this point is beyond me). That isn't the point either.

The point is that people choose a less effective and possibly more harmful helmet design (rotational injury concerns) for the sake of convenience; better airflow and ventilation. Many of those same people deride others who make a similar choice - the sacrifice of some safety for convenience (of which there are more tradeoffs than just airflow) - that they themselves made. That, was my point, which you managed to turn into a conversation about effort levels of skating vs cycling. I stand astounded.