View Single Post
Old 11-25-02, 07:47 PM
Andy Dreisch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorists and I have little problem with one another. They do their thing and I do mine. (Actually, I do both "things".)

I have yet to encounter a serious situation in over 6 years of serious bike-commuting. Mine is a world of peaceful coexistence. Yet I am aggressive in my riding, assert myself, and take no crap. I ride on terribly bad roads in not-so-grand neighborhoods with the full regiment of genetically awful drivers. Based on what I read on the "Commuting" exchange, I'd say mine is among the top 10% of crappy commutes. If anybody should hate motorists it should be me.

Nevertheless, I frankly do no understand the angst many on this board and particularly the CMers feel towards motorists.

I believe CMers engage in lawlessness as a group. I believe it's part of the "gig" that is CM. I believe CM is intended to incite. Exactly what it incites is where we part company. I think it incites rage in otherwise placid motorists, which I believe endangers me.

CMers think it incites governmental bodies to improve the biker's condition. I don't buy that for a second. I'd like to see concrete, documented proof of the beneficial affect of CM.