Bikes: Fuso 30th Anniversary, 1971 Raleigh SuperCourse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Beer?? Did someone say beer?

Hi Steve and welcome to BikeForums.

Age? You can't be THAT old. I'm 60 and there are many others here older than me.
Time? Why not bike commute to get in some riding time?
Back problems? There are hybrids and recumbents (what ever they are 2 and 3 wheel).

Glad you found us.
Actually the age part was kind of a joke, I'm only 48! The injuries don't really keep me from riding now, but they stopped me cold some years ago, and I went from 200 to 300 miles a week to nothing! Now, with a 35 mile commute (shared with my wife and son) and being at the hockey rink three to five days a week (my son plays at the Peewee AA level, takes up a lot of our time) and carrying an extra 40 pounds over my racing weight, I just need to get my ass in gear and start riding again! That's why I'm trying to find a small road bike for my son, so we can ride together. He wants to add bike racing to his athletic repetiore, and I want to lose 30 pounds and get back in shape.

Surprizingly, more upright or recumbant positions are more painful for me than my traditional road racing position. At least when I'm leaning forward there is very little compression load on my back, so it rotates around going over bumps, rather than being lifted straight up and compressing.

Although I love my old Columbus steel Fuso, I do hope someitme in the next few years to get a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket for my son, my wife and me. Then we can bring our bikes everywhere.