Old 06-16-12, 11:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular hub, and I don't work on enough different bikes these days to stay up on all the stuff as it comes out. But as far as I know, the only reason the ends of the axle would be turned down is because the axle was oversize compared to class 9mm front axles, and needed to be turned to fit the dropouts. (if they turned down a standard front axle it would be too small and not fit the dropout correctly).

That might explain why they turned down the axle's ends. As far as to why they work loose, that's probably related to abandoning the wisdom accumulated over the last century, deciding that keyed washers are unnecessary and saving a few cents by doing without. IME hubs, pedals and headsets using keyed washers generally keep their adjustments, those without don't.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.