Old 06-17-12, 04:48 PM
joejeweler
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tightened it all up just enough to get pressure on each bushing joint and add additional support to the hindge joints, but not enough to hinder the function. I also added a small amount of wheel bearing grease to the nylon washer side facing the bushing, to aid in the functioning.

(a ss washer is under the nylon one,.. tough to see in the pic though):

The excess bolt lengths had to be trimmed away, and i rounded and polished up the bolt ends to remove any sharpness there.

.....the other side:

A close up of the polished ss bolt ends:

So that's the final version of what i ended up with. The side arms have a lot more support now, and the bushings more protected from rode dust.

My 1st rendition last night i used soft rubber washers instead of the hard nylon ones, figuring they would seal against dust and moisture better. But you just can't get much pressure on them before they distort. Possibly using a flat faucet washer would work,.....but i'm satisfied with the added protection and support offered now.

This is with the rubber washers mounted (original rendition now changed), and before i cut and polished the bolt ends:

....another view:

The sealing was fine with the rubber washers,....but just didn't feel it was offering any additional support to the hindges, as the material was just too soft.

....and here on the bike (1987 Schwinn Cimarron, 18" Frame):

So there she is,..."done" for now. The only thing i want to do is locate a bit wider ss and nylon washers that will more fully cover the frame arms beyong where the bushings are. The hardware store didn't have anything in stock like that, but should be available with a little looking.

That will give the optimum support to the linkage arms, which previously are only supported by the 3 thin screws along the center. Substantial bolts on the ends greatly augment that support, and i'm hopeful any loosening (side play) of the unit much less likely with extended use.

Last edited by joejeweler; 06-19-12 at 12:59 AM.