View Single Post
Old 06-17-12, 08:09 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bikes and hybrids with 700cc tires are much easier to push around than a MTB with wide 26 inch tires. I used to commute on a MTB that was converted to a commuter, which also rode on slicks and not knobby tires, and when I switched over to a 700cc hybrid I realized I had been punishing myself for sticking with the MTB, even with the tire change.

One thing you'll want to investigate before possibly making a switch to any other style of bike is the change in frame geometry and how that affects the rider's body position. A hybrid is usually more upright and a road bike will have you angled forward more. Either one could change how the seat feels or the weight you place on your hands and the handlebars. I've had seats that made my bum go numb and handlebars that made my hands go numb on both types of bikes. Because I'm mostly a city rider I went with a hybrid and upgraded the seat and handlebars to solve the numbness problem, you may have to do the same with a road bike.

If you take any bikes for a test ride, be sure to take it for a longer ride that you seem to be making now, in order to check for a potential numbness or pain issue.