View Single Post
Old 06-22-12, 07:37 AM
SteamingAlong

Bikes: 2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the greatings! Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I've had a crazy month, my elderly mother had to be admit herself into an assisted living facility. I've taken over managing her house and finances on short notice. Stressfull....

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Welcome back! So what are you riding now?
I switched to a Surly Steamroller. Fixed gear is perfect for my commuting needs at this point.

I used to ride a hybrid, until I realized that they just don't do anything well, just ok. After riding a mint condition 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport that I bought from a former co-worker, I really became hooked on more of road style of bike. I don't even want to use the hybrid as a dedicated winter commuter at this point. I have an old Cannondale F-400 Mountain Bike that has filled that role.

I've reached the point that I've decided to part the hybrid out and discard the crappy frame and forks. It's not really worth attempting to sell the frame and forks and I wouldn't get a worth while amount back if I left the bike complete, since I had do some minor upgrades on all of the components as they needed to be replaced. So I'm stripping the still usable parts and disposing of the carcass.

I've realized owning mulitple bikes isn't necessary practical, the simplicity of maintaining 1-2 bikes has a lot of appeal, especially when the other bikes are hardly riden.