View Single Post
Old 06-22-12, 01:10 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redvespablur
I have a custom Marinoni Sportivo - Marinoni usually makes these with spirit tubing - for me at 255 and 6'4" they built of Zona instead. They were pretty cautious with the whole build because they build them to last 39 years and not a couple of summers.
My experience is similar. In building up my custom road bike, the builder (Ira Ryan) felt more comfortable getting me on a mix of Spirit and Zona, in some cases oversized, for the way I stress a frame. I am about 205 now, but have been in the 220-240 range.I am not certain on which tubes are what, but the head tube, down tube and chain stays are all noticeably oversized, and the rest is not -- I'd venture they are Zona and the rest is Spirit. He did comment early in the process that anytime you get beyond about a 57 TT, you need to build in more strength for the frame to ride as it should. THis is also a lugged frame (many claim them to be stronger) and has a chain stay bridge, which also contributes to stiffness.

That said, the above is about ride characteristics. I have a production Kona Kapu which has Deda sat 14.5 tubing, which has held me just fine over 12,000 miles or so. It's just a little flex when standing to climb. And I've ridden that with me at about 240, plus backpack (another 20).

If your question is strength and ability to hold you, ask the builder, but I'd be surprised if it was an issue. If it's about ride characteristics, yes, I'd venture more flex than a thicker tube set.

Total weight with cages and computer mount of the custom and heavy wheels is just under 21 pounds. With race wheels she'd be closer to 19.