Old 06-22-12, 09:50 PM
dehoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Not looking to be discouraging, just realistic. Almost forgot. A couple of water bottles, and a water bottle cage, if the bike doesn't already have one, would run, maybe $10 for water bottles, $8 to $15 for a water bottle cage, or two.

As for a trunk bag/rack, just my opinion, but generally, a new rider who weighs 350 lbs will be more comfortable without extra weight on her back. And, I do think it is realistic that unless she buys a bike from a bike shop or alternately knows how to work on bikes herself, she is more likely than not to need at least one trip to a LBS. If it were me (and in the past it has been me), I would bring it in to my favorite shop for piece of mind, if nothing else.
I hear ya, but sometimes I think people can get way too caught up in the bike "merchandising" when recommending what to start out with. Again, a $5 or $6 bottle cage with a $4 bottle should more than suffice. Heck, I see people re-using 1 liter bottles in bottle cages, not that I recommend it.

The largest obstacle, especially for someone on a limited budget, is to get a decent bike they can afford. Next up is actually getting on the bike. Everything beyond that is just icing on the cake, although a pump is pretty crucial. Heck, my nearly 80 year old neighbor rides his bike at least 3 times a week when the temps are above freezing and the last time he wore a helmet was in the Korean War. He also doesn't have a lock, water bottle, or a trunk bag, but still manages to get on his bike just fine.

Totally agree about the LBS. Heck, they might even be able to help her out with a quality used bike and accessories. My LBS fixes up donated bikes and gives them to people in need. They will also find homes for other cycling related gear like helmets that people are willing to donate.

If there's a local bike co-op that could also be a great way for the OP to get a bike.