Old 08-04-05, 07:12 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCool
They seem pretty even in terms of value to me, what do some of the experienced tandem folks think?
If that's an '05 for a couple hundred off that's a good deal. The '05 Rumba uses the same air hardened steel (True Temper OX Plantinum) as the more expensive Duet and Paso Doble, whereas the '04 used the ever so slighly heavier and less stiff 4130 chromoly (True Temper Verus). The components aren't chic but will last as long and perform about as well as more expensive models. As Rudy mentioned, the new tandem comes with a warranty which certainly adds value to the frame for the original owner. The only thing to be aware of is the Tiagra STI lever's design. Instead of using the brake lever and a finger paddle positioned behind the brake lever for shifting gears like most other Shimano STI groups (105, Ultegra, DuraAce) it uses a thumb paddle and finger paddle along the lines of Campy's Ergo levers.

IMHO, the Paso Doble is priced at the mid-point which may be a bit high given the somewhat rough looking condition it's in. The tires they are running are wider than the rims are rated for and Burley has upgraded its frame materials and designs twice since the Paso Doble was produced. Personally, I would not be inclined to buy the Paso Doble sight unseen for the price they are asking. However, were it closer to $1,300 it might be attactive as a first tandem as anything short of a damaged frame could be addressed (new rims for instance) without blowing through the price point at which I could resell the bike and not take a loss if tandeming wasn't something we enjoyed or if the bike just wasn't a good fit for our needs.

Let us know what you decide.