Old 06-24-12, 12:17 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
I suppose I am still not getting it. Ae there more than one type of ultegra 6700 rd? Is there a short cage and a long cage? Or are you saying if the stock(assuming there is only one kind) ultegra rd won't work, then I have to go to some sort of shimano mtb rd? If so which one would that be that will work with the rest of my setup?
Yes, there are two different RD-6700 models, (not counting the two colors). They are speced as: RD-6700 SS, (short cage), and RD-6700 GS, (long cage). When you see "RD-6700" by itself, that is the silver version, when you see "RD-6700-G", that is the "glossy gray" version. The SS versions says that the total capacity is 33 teeth or less, the largest sprocket is 28T, the smallest sprocket is 11T, and the front chainwheel tooth difference of 16 teeth or less. For the GS version, 39, 28T, 11T, and 22. The long cage is usually used with their 6703 triple crankset.

Do a Google search for "Shimano technical documents" and that will direct you to all kinds of tech docs for their product line. For Ultegra, they have docs for the 65xx, 66x, and 67xx series.

- - - - -

To others, I picked up my 12-30 CS-6700 on Friday. Installed it on my wheel, but haven't had a chance to ride the bike as I'm changing rear tires and got involved in taking all the cassettes off my bikes, taking them apart and cleaning them in mineral spirits. I took pictures side-by-side between the 12-30 and 12-28. It is surprising to see how different they are. There are no technical documents inside. Just some one-page warning to not disassemble or modify the cassette. Now, how stupid is it to say something like that? Pictures to follow after I get everything up and running.