Thread: Cuckoo Trail.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-12, 02:30 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cuckoo Trail.

Not many MUP's here in the UK but a few about. We have one that runs through my Town and besides the usual recreational side- it is also a commuter link for bikes. It is built on a disused railway line and I had to go 10 miles North of where I live to a good hardware store that carries quality stuff at a good price instead of the rubbish you pick up at the Builders Centres. Didn't use the Mup on the way up and found the 30t on the Tiagra cassette came in useful with the compact on one or two of the slopes. Shows how unfit I am but also how much foresight I had in getting that Cassette.

The Cuckoo Trail is named after the bird and apparantly they are rife around this area. Haven't heard one this year yet but that may just be me not listening. The hills on the way up made me hungry so decided to take the cuckoo trail on the way back. Now this is a disused railway line and runs across the back gardens of some houses. One house and I had to take a pic of as I think this bloke has taken his hobby to the extreme. He has an "O" gauge Railway line running round his garden but this is landscaping to the extreme. Looks just like an Old UK train/road crossing- complete with the signal box

Back to the cafe and time for Pie and coffee. Coffee was good but the slice of Pie was small and expensive. Tasted good though.

But a couple of the trail- Mainly a good surface with just a few places where Mud has drifter onto the path but this used to be a Mountain bike trail. No hard surface and winter riding was always eventful. That is shown in one of the pics where the hard standing veers off to the right leaving the "OLD" trail for the foolhardy youngster. but in the main it is a flat trail with just a few rises to negotiate

So not a fantastic ride but proves that I am sticking to my ideal of not using a car whenever possible. And it was great to be out in the country and no garden work to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00178.jpg (100.3 KB, 13 views)
DSC00179.jpg (99.0 KB, 8 views)
DSC00181.jpg (99.7 KB, 10 views)
DSC00182.jpg (102.9 KB, 10 views)

Spike Milligan