View Single Post
Old 06-25-12, 06:16 PM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Financial Value Over Emotional Value

I have a list of things I want to keep. The list is under two-hundred items now. The biggest things would be the bed and a bicycle. Everything else can go. I have very little attachment to those things. I see them as having value and letting them go for $0 to me seems like just taking money out of my bank account and throwing it away. There are over one-hundred-twenty-five collectable items in this group of things. All were inherited. Most of them are figurines from the fifties or earlier.

Had Hurricane Katrina destroyed my house I would have just moved on and accepted the loss. I wasn't attached to the house because it had just been sold two weeks prior to the storm. When I packed the truck to move I even left behind a car that needed a repair. I instructed the new owner to please donate it. The Goodwill store wanted it but they weren't in operation just after the storm.

Since I did have the opportunity to collect all of those things after the storm I should do something positive with them. It would justify the effort of taking them with me. I've already sold most of my furniture. All i have left is a bedroom set, a kitchen table with chairs, some office cabinets, and two coffee tables. There are two chairs that I regularly use but they will be sold too.

As far as living in an RV goes, I don't intend to spend winters in Montana even though it could be done with plenty of propane. Southern California is where I'll spend winters.

Getting rid of these superfluous things will make me feel like I'm living a simpler life. When they're all gone I'll be able to look at my situation again and decide if it had the desired effect. If not then at least I'll be more mobile with more options to choose.