Old 08-05-05, 12:30 AM
ryhonrei
Bridgestone Comet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

I’m a male fitness trainer of 20 years experience. I turned 50 this year and along with completing the half century came thoughts of retirement.

I live in Singapore, an island republic just off the equator with a population of about 4 million. Traffic is heavy most times so cycling is a challenge. Also, it’s hot all year round and maintaining hydration is a priority.

I ride a Bridgestone MB4 which I purchased in 1989 for the princely sum of S$950. In it’s original state the bike had a 7-speed rear cluster. It now boasts a 9-speed rear cluster simply because over time, Shimano stopped producing 7 and 8 speed clusters.

Rather than trash the bike when parts wore out, I decided to modify and upgrade over time, mainly because I like the ride signature of the Ritchey CroMo frame and also because I don’t like throwing useable stuff away. Cranks, brakes, shifters, cables, handlebars and front forks have all been changed over the last 16 years.

While browsing the net I came across your site and after reading posts by Ascendor, mugglemomof3, raderik and king koeller among others, came to the realisation that this is a cycling community with a special identity and culture.

The more posts I read the more convinced I became that I should not retire for one simpel reason: I’ve never felt better…although spelling is sometimes a problem.

My clients often say to me: “You’re fit because you’re a trainer.” To this I respond: “I’m a trainer because I’m fit and I’m fit because I cycle daily.”

Your site has inspired me to press on and continue to pass the message of health and fitness through cycling.

Thank you all for your inspiration. I look forward to becoming a part of your wonderful community.