Old 08-05-05, 07:04 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting experience with police officer

On my commute home yesterday I was approaching a four-way stop sign traveling north in a very quiet neighborhood. I rarely ever encounter any traffic at this intersection, in fact I really can't understand why it warranted a four-way stop. Anyway, as I'm approaching, a police car arrives at the intersection from the west. He gets to the stop sign well before me and we make eye contact. I slow down and come to a stop and the officer still hasn't proceeded through the intersection. I'm track-standing obviously waiting for him to go & he finally gives me a wave and goes through. I gave him a wave back, but I got the distinct impression he was expecting me to ride through the stop sign in front of him as if it didn't apply to cyclists. I was certainly slowing down enough to make it obvious that I was planning to stop. I'm probably reading way too much into it, but the experience left me with a kind of strange feeling and I felt the need to share it with fellow cyclists.